Thursday, March 24, 2011

Tux Typing for Kids

I'm spending the night exploring new open source programs and on SourceForge.net I typed in education and just found this amazing typing program for kids called Tux Typing. I downloaded it--as my computer warned me that this software could be harmful to my computer--but with tons of recommendations, I decided to go for it. I'm always looking for interesting typing programs, because my younger child is still learning to type and it has proven to be a difficult task. He hunts and pecks at the keys, even though he is on his computer at least 3 to 4 hours a day. He has a program he does everynight from his school called Typing Aces which--yes, is boring! I can hardly wait to show him Tux Typeing! It's a penguin named Linux who sits at the bottom of the screen and there are various games that you play using the penguin. For example, you can do finger exercises as fish come down from the top of the screen or you can laser away fish--again, using correct typing finger placement. Brilliant! After spending quite a few dollars over the past few years on fun typing programs, I'm so happy that, finally, some developers have created one for free. Thank you open source developers. I noticed it had over 2100 downloads this week with 54 recommendations and the last time it was updated was June 8, 2010. Linux the Penguin, you may just become my new BFF.

1 comment:

  1. YAY! The Penguin is a great bird. I am so pleased that you paid special attention to the activity of the project. It is a good sign of quality.

    Let us know how your son enjoys Tux Typing!

    ReplyDelete