Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Social Media Week in NYC & Higher Education

I went to the Higher Education panel of Social Media Week last week which was held at the McGraw Hill publishing offices in mid-town.  The McGraw Hill presenter talked about "the nexus between social media, data analysis and workflow tools" and so I was excited to see what the event would be about.  After this brief presentation about what McGraw Hill is doing in the world of technology, visitors were invited to a poster session featuring various tech companies.  McGraw Hill's own platform is called GradeGuru.com and it is basically a website where college students share their notes with other college students.  They are given incentives--prizes--for putting their notes up online.  Their literature says that GradeGuru is a "ready to use study network where students can: join their school and class communities, share study materials and collaborate with their peers, create and share class study materials, build their academic profile, set class goals, track progress and keep motivated."  Wow.  Sounds kind of impressive, but let's remember that most college students are already on Facebook or Twitter and are sharing ideas and materials through those platforms.  I asked a MH representative why students want to share their notes with other students (and probably only the smart students who are good writers would be even interested in this gameplan)....and he said that it relates to the era of sharing.  It seems, in some way, that MH is just really trying to gain access to the college population.  I know no one who has ever used GradeGuru.com and I teach and work at three universities in the metropolitan area.  Hmmm.  Next, I skipped over the guys from Google Apps for Education and the Skype table which was making a big sell about how professors are now using their software to skype with students.  I love skype and use it all the time, but I think Blackboard and other university software has chat/stream capabilities on most major campuses already.  I then went to Unigo.com which is another MH website where college students and experts tell you what the colleges won't about certain colleges.  Sounds like a guide to colleges by students, to me.  That has certainly been done before.  Next I talked to another bunch of guys about their website Jatched.com which apparently connects college students to certain brands.  I asked them--"shouldn't college students be studying and not going online to get things sold to them"--and the guy laughed and said--well, in between studying, they could go to the site.
All in all, I have to say, I was highly disappointed by the offerings at this Social Media Week event for higher education.  It seemed like companies just want to have the niche of the audience of college students to "sell" them something---becoming motivated to get good grades by posting their notes, branding consumer products to them, etc.  It was so frustrating to see that, ultimately, the interpretation of Social Media Week for Higher Education amounted to--what can we sell to college students because they are such a great niche market.  I found very little creativity in terms of what students really want or need in college.  I felt like every young entrepreneur there was trying desperately to have that million dollar idea that could be ultimately bought up by a bigger company so they could make tons of money.  I'm not sure what I expected--I guess I wanted some rich and original content around thinking about higher education and combining social media with it--but, that's not at all what was there.  I wish all of those companies a lot of luck.  It's clear the only one which is really doing meaningful work for students is Google Apps for Education.

2 comments:

  1. Beth, this is a very interesting topic and I sorry you didn't have a positive experience. Social media on college campuses is dominant and there is no way to escape it. During my undergrad, I used Facebook as much as my cell phone to get a hold of friends. The companies and websites you wrote about are clearly not inventing the wheel but are definitely encouraging students to network and learn from each other. I think these different forms of social media have a lot trial and error ahead of them and need time to realistically meet the needs of college students.

    I did visit each of the website you mentioned and I really liked the idea behind jatched.com. From what I can see, the site provides jobs to college students. It matches employers needs to NYU students' skills, schedule and interests. To me that's a brilliant idea. There are never enough on-campus jobs for students and if there is a website that can match your skills with an employer, I feel a lot of students will be able to work while in school.

    Beth, I know you said you wanted to see some original content. What would you have liked to see that really matches college students' needs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth,
    This is such an interesting post! I did not hear about Social Media Week but it seems like it would be an interesting event to attend. Out of all of the higher educational ideas that you mentioned, I must say that the MH GradeGuru.com was appealing. As an undergraduate student I relied so heavily on my notes to pass classes. One skill that I am proud of saying I have is being able to take really good notes. However, I do agree with you it's for the wrong purposes. The "prizes" are appealing and if I could get a free prize for something I am already doing, why not? However, the purpose of education is really destroyed by this idea. I'd say about 80% of college students dread going to class, and if they could access the notes outside of the classroom, they would. Is this what college degrees have come to? Memorizing notes for a grade? I tell my students all the time it's not about the grade, it's about the experience. It's about learning from something and having it change your life, or make you see something in a whole new way. Memorizing notes from GradeGuru.com is not a way to enhance the education of our higher education. In fact, I believe it's doing more harm than good. Thank you Joy for this very interesting post.

    ReplyDelete